Discord is an excellent messaging and digital distribution platform that allows users to exchange messages, audio, and media. It is the go-to chat platform of gamers due to its server features and low bandwidth consumption, allowing them to communicate in-game without suffering from lags and delays.
Automatically Repair Windows Errors
- Your machine is currently running Windows 10
- This Repair Utility is compatible with your operating system.
Recommended: To repair Windows Errors, use this software package; Restoro System Repair. This repair tool has been proven to identify and fix these errors and other Windows problems with very high efficiency.
- 100% safe as confirmed by Norton.
- Only your system and hardware are evaluated.
However, there have been recent reports from several users who experience lags on Discord. Some have a hard time hearing conversations from voice chats, while others experience difficulties sending text and media on the platform.
There are also reports that the entire platform is lagging, and users can’t even navigate to their servers, rendering the program unusable.
To help you out, we’ve decided to make a guide on how to fix Discord if it keeps lagging on your computer.
Let’s get started!
Fix 1: Close Unnecessary Programs
Unused applications running on your computer can take up system memory and bandwidth, which can cause performance issues on the programs you are using. To free up your system’s resources, close down unnecessary programs running on your computer.
- Press the Windows Key + X on your keyboard to access the Quick Menu.
- Click on the Task Manager to launch it.
- Go to the Processes tab and identify the programs that you are not using.
- Close down the unused programs one by one and exit the Task Manager afterwards.
Go back to Discord and observe if you would still experience lags on the platform.
Fix 2: Update Your Drivers
Discord uses several devices, such as speakers, microphone, network adapters, and even the graphics card when you cast your screen. If you experience lags on Discord, try to update your device drivers to ensure that all of them are working correctly.
- Press the Windows Key + X on your device to open the Quick Access Menu.
- Now, click on the Device Manager.
- Select one of your drivers and right-click on it.
- Click on the Update Driver button and follow the on-screen prompts to install the update.
Repeat this process until you’ve updated all the drivers on your computer. Once done, go back to Discord to check if the problem is solved.
Fix 3: Clear Discord’s Cache
After using Discord for a while, its temporary data and caches may accumulate over time and cause the application or your system to run slow. It’s also possible that Discord’s cache got corrupted, and your computer is having a hard time accessing its data, which causes the lag or performance issue.
To fix this, delete Discord’s cache by following the steps below:
- On your computer, open the Run Command by pressing the Windows Key + R.
- Search for %APPDATA%/Discord/Cache and hit the Enter key to open the folder path.
3. Press CTRL + A to select all the files and delete them from your system.
Once done, go back to Discord and check if the application would still lag while gaming.
Fix 4: Turn Hardware Acceleration ON/OFF
Depending on your system, hardware acceleration can either improve Discord’s performance or make it worse. Hardware acceleration uses your GPU to reduce the load on your processor, thus improving its performance.
However, if you are using an old or entry-level graphics card, it can make Discord’s performance worse. To find out which settings work best for you, try using Discord with hardware acceleration turned on and off.
- On Discord, click on the Gear icon on the bottom left corner of the display to access Settings.
- Now, click on the Advanced tab from the side menu.
- Turn Hardware Acceleration On/Off and see which settings work for you.
Use Discord for a couple of minutes to check if you would experience any lags or performance issues.
Fix 5: Reset Voice Settings
If your friends complain about your voice being choppy or laggy, try resetting your voice settings. You might have mistakenly changed some of your preferences, which caused the problem with Discord.
See the steps below to reset your voice settings on Discord:
- First, access Discord’s Settings by clicking on the Gear icon on the bottom left corner of your display.
- Now, go to Voice & Video and scroll down to the bottom.
- Click on Reset Voice Settings and follow the on-screen prompts to confirm your action.
Restart Discord afterwards and check if it will still keep lagging during voice chats.
Fix 6: Reinstall Discord
If none of the methods above worked, try reinstalling Discord on your computer. Some of its installation files may have gotten corrupted, or the application is not installed correctly on your computer.
- First, open the Control Panel on your computer and click on Uninstall a Program.
2. Locate Discord from the list of programs installed on your system.
3. Right-click on Discord and click on Uninstall to delete the application.
Go to Discord’s official website afterwards and redownload the desktop app from there.
Fix 7: Update Windows
The current version of Discord may not be compatible with your Windows version. It is also possible that your operating system has a bug or glitch that causes Discord or other applications to malfunction.
To fix this, try to check if newer versions of Windows are available on your computer and install it.
- First, open the Start Menu and click on Settings.
- Inside Windows Settings, click on Update & Security.
- Lastly, wait for Windows to check for updates and follow the on-screen prompts if there’s a newer version available.
If the issue persists, visit Discord’s Help Center and contact their customer support to report the problem. We have other helpful guides to fix these Discord issues: Discord won’t open fix, RTC connecting error, and Discord ‘no route’ issue.