Having a hard time starting an application on your computer and greeted with an error code 0xc0000142?
Well, many Windows users are experiencing this kind of error message whenever they open an application on their system. The error code 0xc0000142 often occurs when launching games but can also appear on several applications like Autodesk and Microsoft Office.
Windows Automatic Repair Tool
- Your machine is currently running Windows 10
- Restoro is compatible with your operating system.
Recommended: To repair Windows 10 Errors, use this software package; Restoro System Repair. This repair tool has been proven to identify and fix these errors and other Windows problems with very high efficiency.
- 100% safe as confirmed by Norton.
- Only your system and hardware are evaluated.
There are several reasons why you are greeted with an ‘Application Unable to Start Correctly 0xC0000142’. The main reason for this is a missing application file that’s required for a program to run correctly on your system. Other reasons like improper system settings and missing .dll files can also cause this application error code on Windows 10. Sometimes you might need to reinstall specific programs such as in Microsoft office.
Whatever the case is, we are here to help you out. Today, we will show you a few tips and tricks that you can do to fix Windows application error 0xc0000142 on your computer. Let’s jump right in.
Method 1: Restart Your Computer
For the most basic solution to this kind of issue on Windows 10, you can try restarting your computer. It is possible that several system files are not loaded properly on your operating system, which causes the error code 0xc0000142 when you run the application.
To restart Windows 10, check out the guide below.
- On your computer, press on the Windows key on your keyboard to open the Start Menu.
- After that, click on the Power button.
- Lastly, click on Restart to begin rebooting Windows 10.
Once your computer has completely restarted, try to rerun the program on your computer to see if the ‘application was unable to start correctly‘ error message would still occur on your system.
Method 2: Run the Application in Compatibility Mode
Many users effectively resolved the issue on their computers by simply running the application in compatibility mode. Before digging dipper into your system configuration, we advise that you try out this simple solution first.
To run any program in compatibility mode, check out the steps below to guide you through the process.
- On your computer, right-click on the application that you are having problems running.
- After that, click on Properties.
- Next, click on the Compatibility tab.
- Inside the Compatibility tab, click on ‘Run this Program in Compatibility Mode’.
Lastly, select Windows 7 from the drop-down menu. Click Ok to save the changes.
Now, try to run the application once again to see if this method worked in fixing the issue with Windows 10 not being able to run any program.
On the other hand, if you are still encountering the error code 0xc0000142 when running applications on Windows 10, you can proceed to the next method below to try and fix the issue.
Method 3: Scan System Files for Errors
If your operating system and other Windows applications are not running correctly, you can try to run the system file checker on your system. SFC or System File Checker is a useful tool that can fix Windows system files that contains errors or got corrupted during use.
To use the SFC scanner on Windows 10, follow the steps below.
- On your computer, press on the Windows key + S and search for Command Prompt.
- After that, click on Run as Administrator to open the Command Prompt.
- Lastly, type sfc /scannow and hit Enter to begin the process.
Wait for the scan to finish, then restart your computer. Once Windows 10 has restarted, open the program that you are having problems with to see if the ‘application error code 0xc0000142’ is already fixed.
Method 4: Check Your Registry
As mentioned above, the ‘application error code 0xc0000142‘ is also caused by improper system configuration or a missing .dll file.
In this case, you can open the registry editor to see if the ‘LoadAppInit DLLs’ registry key was changed or modified by another program, which causes the error 0xc0000142.
- On your keyboard, press on the Windows key + R to launch the Run Command Box.
- After that, type regedit and hit Ok to open the Registry Editor.
- Next, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Windows.
- Lastly, double-click on LoadAppInit DLLs and change its value to ‘0’. Click Ok to save the changes.
Once done, restart your computer and launch the application once again to check if the error 0xc0000142 ‘application was unable to start correctly’ message would still occur on your computer.
However, if you are still struggling to launch any application on Windows 10, you can do the next method below to fix Windows error code 0xc0000142.
Method 5: Update Windows
Suppose you see the error code 0xc0000142 on specific programs only and not on every application installed on your computer.
In that case, it is possible that the current version of Windows installed on your computer is not compatible with the application that you are trying to run.
It is also possible that your operating system contains a bug or error that causes applications to encounter a 0xc0000142 error code when you try to run it.
With this, you can try to update your operating system to the latest version possible to avoid issues in the future.
- On your keyboard, press Windows key + I to open Windows Settings.
- After that, click on Update & Security.
- Lastly, Windows will automatically check for any update available on your system. Follow the on-screen prompts to download and install the update on your computer.
Wait for the update to complete, then reboot your operating system. Now try to open the application you are having problems with to see if the ‘application was unable to start correctly 0xc0000142’ error message is still present after updating your operating system.
Method 6: Reinstall the Program
For the last method, what you can try doing to fix the application error 0xc0000142 on Windows is to reinstall the program.
Some of its application files or DLL files may be severely corrupted, and no system tweaks can repair the app’s issue.
In this case, we recommend you to reinstall the problematic program to resolve any underlying issues with the app. For example, you might want to just uninstall your Microsoft Office and reinstall a new one (or version.) When downloading make sure to get only from the official website and follow ms office installation process to avoid problems.
- On your computer, press on Windows key + X to open the selection menu.
- Next, click on Task Manager.
- After that, click on the Processes tab and right-click on the program that is not working correctly.
- Now, click on End Task.
- Once done, press on Windows key + S and search for Add or Remove Programs.
- Click on Open.
- Lastly, locate the problematic program from the list and Uninstall it.
Follow the on-screen prompts to remove the program from your system.
Now, install the program again and try to open it to see if the application error 0xc0000142 would still occur on your computer. In addition, it is also highly recommended to add security software to avoid encountering the problem again.
Method 7: Do A Clean Boot
A clean boot is a troubleshooting technique that allows you to check which software or area of your PC is causing problems.
- On your keyboard press Windows + R keys to run command prompt.
- Type msconfig and hit OK launch the System Configuration utility.
- Go to the Services tab and Hide all Microsoft Services checkbox.
- Next, press the Disable All button, this will prevent non Microsoft services from running during start up.
- Go to the startup tab and disable any other programs that may start during startup
Important: For Windows 10 and Windows 8 users, open task mangaer to disable these startup programs.
- Restart your PC once done.
Note: To exit Clean Boot state, open the System Configuration utility and at the General Tab choose Normal startup.
If the PC still experiences issues, go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Uninstall a Program. Check the list of recently installed programs and sort them by date. This will filter out programs that were recently installed that triggered the error and uninstall them.