One of the best reasons why computers are so convenient to use is the availability of shortcuts. For example, you can easily copy a text by clicking copy and paste. Furthermore, you can also use shortcut keys like CTRL+C and CTRL+V to duplicate items for you.
Copying and pasting are considered some of the most basic functions you can enjoy in any Windows device. Unfortunately, there will be times when you may experience copy and paste functions failing. In our article today, we will take a look at how to fix copy and paste not working errors.
Common Reasons for Copy And Paste Not Working
A common reason why you might experience this problem is due to your antivirus software. Sometimes, your antivirus causes the function to fail. To fix the issue, you simply need to disable specific antivirus features or disable the software entirely.
Automatically Repair Windows Errors
- Your machine is currently running Windows 10
- This Repair Utility is compatible with your operating system.
Recommended: To repair Windows 10 Errors, use this software package; Restoro System Repair. This repair tool has been proven to identify and fix these errors and other Windows problems with very high efficiency.
- 100% safe as confirmed by Norton.
- Only your system and hardware are evaluated.
Plugin issues and incompatibilities may also cause some of your software to experience copy and paste not working errors. For example, Microsoft Word, Excel, Remote Desktop, VMware, or AutoCad may suddenly allow copying and pasting.
Method 1 – Update Your Operating System
Updating your Windows 10 ensures that you get comprehensive and ongoing security protections. You can easily compromise your online security when using outdated files. Furthermore, your software will not work properly when you defer your Windows Update. Thankfully, you can fix this easily by utilizing your Windows Update tool and install all the necessary updates.
- Access your Run dialog box by right-clicking on the Windows icon located at the bottom left corner of your display. Next, you need to choose “Run”.
- In the Run Dialog box, type “control update” and press OK.
- This will open your Windows Update Tool. If an update is needed, download and install the update. Restart your PC and see if the copy and paste not working error still persists.
Method 2 – Restart Your Windows Explorer
Sometimes, you will be unable to use your copy and paste function when your Windows Explorer is malfunctioning. Fix this issue by simply restarting your Windows Explorer through the Task Manager.
- On your desktop, press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to launch the task manager.
- Click on the Processes tab. Next, right-click Windows Explorer and select Restart.
- Wait for at least a minute and then try using your copy and paste function again.
Method 3 – Restart the “rdpclip.exe” Process
The “rdpclip.exe” is the main executable for File Copy. This file provides a function for the Terminal Services server that will allow users to copy and paste.
- On your keyboard, press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to launch the Task Manager.
- Click on the “Details” tab locate and click on the “rdpclip.exe” and click on “End Task”.
- On your keyboard, press the Windows key and “R”. Next, type in “rdpclip.exe” in the run dialog box. Hit “enter” on your keyboard.
- Check if the copy and paste functions are now working.
Method 4 – Clear the Clipboard Cache
Your computer’s clipboard cache is a buffer that allows you to store and transfer data within and between programs. Most of the time, the clipboard will be temporary and unnamed and the content will be stored in the computer’s RAM.
- Hold down the “Windows” and “R” keys to bring up the run line command.
- In the dialog box, type in “cmd”. Press “CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER” to allow administrator access.
- This will pull out the command prompt. Type in “cmd /c”echo off|clip” and then press “enter” on your keyboard.
- Restart your computer and check if the error persists.
Method 5 – Disable Third-Party Clipboard Applications
Clipboard apps can considerably improve your copy-and-paste experience. These apps will hold multiple (copied) content, combining multiple clips, formatting texts, and other advanced features. Unfortunately, clipboard apps can sometimes cause conflict with your computer’s built-in clipboard and cause errors.
Therefore, if you are using any third-party clipboard apps or managers, try disabling it. Restart your PC and see if it fixes the problem.
Method 6 – Disable RAM Optimization Applications
Whenever you copy and paste content, copied data will be temporarily saved in your computer’s Random-Access Memory (RAM). Sometimes, file cleaning apps and RAM optimization software may clear clipboard data automatically to save space.
When this happens, any copied content will automatically be deleted leaving the clipboard empty. If you are using a third-party RAM booster, disable the app or modify its settings to ensure your computer’s clipboard data is not part of the optimization process.
Copying and pasting is a convenient and easy way to move data and content across applications and software. While this is a basic function for all Windows 10 computers, sometimes, it will not work. The methods mentioned above are helpful in fixing this error.