Windows Management Instrumentation or WMI Host is a system application (wmiPrvSE.exe) that is essential for Windows Applications to run properly. If it stops working many windows features will become unusable. In the worst cases, you cannot even use your computer.
To fix various PC problems, we recommend the Restoro PC Repair Tool:
This software will repair common computer errors, protect you from file loss, malware, hardware failure, and optimize your PC for maximum performance. Fix PC issues and remove viruses now in 3 easy steps:
- Download Restoro PC Repair Tool
- Click Start Scan to find Windows issues that could be causing PC problems.
- Click Repair All to fix issues with Patented Technologies (patent available here).
Restoro has been downloaded by 14,567 readers this week.
Many Windows 10 users reported that WMI Provider Host is using too much CPU resources. As a result, this leads to slow performance, CPU overheating, and system lags.
To fix this issue you need to do some basic computer troubleshooting. Don’t worry because in this article we’ll guide you through every step.
Let’s get started.
Method 1: Repair Corrupted files
If your Windows system has corrupted and missing files most often than not is that it will result in system stability issues.
Follow the steps below to repair corrupted system files.
Step 1: Press Windows key + X on your keyboard and select Command Prompt (Admin).
Step 2: When Command Prompt open, type “sfc /scannow” and press Enter.
Step 3: After the scan is finished a system message will appear. See the list below to guide you on what it means.
- Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations – This means your operating system doesn’t have any corrupted or missing files.
- Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation – The repair tool detected a problem during the scan and an offline scan is needed
- Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them – This message will appear when the SFC was able to fix the problem it detected
- Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. – If this error occurs, you will need to repair the corrupted files manually. See the guide below.
**Try to run SFC scan two to three times to fix all the errors**
Method 2: Restart WMI Service
If Windows Management Instrumentation is showing unusual behavior and it’s using too many computer resources, it is best to try and restart the service.
Step 1: Press on Windows Key + R and type Services.msc
Step 2: On Services page, find Windows Management Instrumentation
Step 3: Right Click on Windows Management Instrumentation and select restart
Step 4: Restart your computer and check on task manager if WMI is still using too much CPU resource
Method 3: Fix High CPU Usage via Command Prompt
Step 1: Press Windows Key + S and search for Command Prompt
Step 2: Click on Run as Administrator
Step 3: On command prompt enter the following command one by one:
net stop iphlpsvc
net stop wscsvc
net stop Winmgmt
net start Winmgmt
net start wscsvc
net start iphlpsvc
Step 4: Check WMI on task manager and see if it still has a high CPU usage
Method 4: Perform a System Scan
Another cause of high CPU usage is malware and viruses. If your computer is running slowly try performing a virus scan with Windows Defender.
Step 1: Press Windows key + S and search for Windows Defender
Step 2: Open Windows Defender
Step 3: On the scan options select full and click scan now
Step 4: Wait for the scan to finish then reboot your system
Step 5: Check the CPU usage of your system and see if the issue is resolved.
Method 5: Perform a Clean Installation of Windows 10
If WMI service still has a high CPU usage after performing the steps above, the last thing that you could do is to reinstall everything.
Make sure to backup all your files and Perform a new Windows 10 Installation.
For users who don’t know how to install a fresh copy of Windows 10 you can check our guide on How to Perform a Clean Install in Windows 10.