The System Thread Exception Not Handled error appears on your computer as a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) error message. Users experience this issue on Windows 8, 8.1, and 10.
Some reported that they get a couple of minutes before the problem appears while some experience the issue right after Windows boots up, making it impossible for them to use their computers.
Automatically Repair Windows Errors
- Your machine is currently running Windows 10
- This Repair Utility is compatible with your operating system.
Recommended: To repair Windows 10 Errors, use this software package; Restoro System Repair. This repair tool has been proven to identify and fix these errors and other Windows problems with very high efficiency.
- 100% safe as confirmed by Norton.
- Only your system and hardware are evaluated.
This kind of error typically occurs due to improper installation of drivers, corrupted drivers, overclocking your system, and in worst cases, hardware failure.
It is also possible that a recently installed program caused the issue on your computer. However, before jumping to the conclusion that your computer hardware is broken, try the steps in our guide to see if you can fix the issue.
Today, we are going to show you a few tips and tricks which you can easily follow on how to fix the System Thread Exception Not Handled Error in Windows 10.
Let’s get started.
Boot Your Computer into Safe Mode
Before you can fix your computer, you first need to boot into Safe Mode. This will allow you access to the Windows operating system without having to worry about the BSOD error message appearing.
To boot in Safe Mode, check out the steps below to guide you through the process.
1. On your computer, turn it on and repeatedly tap on CTRL key + F8 on your keyboard.
2. After that, the Boot Manager would appear on your computer.
3. Lastly, select Safe Mode on the selection of Advance Boot Options for Windows 10.
Now you can proceed to the methods below to try and fix the issue on your operating system. Make sure that you boot in to Safe Mode before executing the methods below.
Method 1: Reinstall Display Drivers
The System Thread error on Windows 10 can be caused by a faulty or outdated graphics drivers on your computer. If your operating system cannot communicate properly with your graphics card then it won’t be able to function properly since it cannot display the content of your desktop.
To fix this, you can try reinstalling your graphics driver.
1. Press Windows key + S on your keyboard and search for Control Panel
2. Open Control Panel
3. Click on Program and features
4. Find your graphics card driver and uninstall it. Radeon Software for AMD and NVIDIA GeForce Experience for NVIDIA
5. Go to the graphics card manufacturer’s website and download their latest drivers
6. Wait for the download to finish and install it
7. Follow the installation wizard
After installation, restart your computer and check if the problem is resolved.
However, if the blue screen of death error message still appears after updating your graphics card drivers, you can check out the next method below to try and fix the issue.
Method 2: Use SFC Scanner to Check System Files
Windows has a built-in tool that allows you to scan all the system files of your operating system and automatically repairs broken files of your computer to correct errors such as the dreaded Windows has stopped this device (Error Code 43).
SFC scanner needs to be executed on the command prompt and you would need administrative privileges to use this tool.
Check out the step-by-step guide below to guide you through the process.
1. On your computer, press on the Windows key + S and search for Command Prompt.
2. After that, click on Run as Administrator to launch the Command Prompt with administrative privileges.
3. Lastly, inside the Command Prompt, type sfc /scannow and hit Enter.
Check out all the possible return messages after using the SFC scanner so that you would know what happened to the system scan that you have performed.
- Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations – This means your operating system doesn’t have any corrupted or missing files.
- Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation – The repair tool detected a problem during the scan and an offline scan is needed
- Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them – This message will appear when the SFC was able to fix the problem it detected
- Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. – If this error occurs, you will need to repair the corrupted files manually. See the guide below.
**Try to run SFC scan two to three times to fix all the errors**
Method 3: Use Windows Check Disk
Windows Check Disk is another useful tool that allows you to perform a deep scan on your hard drive to see if there are any files that can cause problems on your computer. Just like the SFC scanner, Windows Check Disk also requires Command Prompt to execute the action.
To use the Windows Check Disk tool, check out the step-by-step guide below.
1. On your computer, press on Windows Key + S and search for Command Prompt.
2. After that, click on Run as Administrator to launch the Command Prompt.
3. Lastly, inside the Command Line, type chkdsk /r and hit Enter.
Now, wait for the scan to finish, then restart your computer and use it normally to see if the Blue Screen of Death error would still occur on your computer.
Method 4: Reinstall Your Sound Card Drivers
Another culprit that may cause the System Thread Exception Not Handled error message on your computer is the sound card drivers on your computer. It is common for Windows to encounter problems with Realtek drivers which is still a mystery as to why this happens especially on Windows 10.
To fix the issue, you can try reinstalling the sound card drivers on your computer.
1. On your computer, press on the Windows Key + S and search for Device Manager.
2. After that, click on Open to run the Windows Device Manager.
3. Next, click on Audio Inputs and Outputs to expand it.
4. Locate your sound card driver, then right-click on the driver and select Uninstall Device.
5. Lastly, restart your computer and Windows will automatically install the sound drivers for your computer.
Now, try to use it normally to see if it will successfully boot up or if the System Thread Exception Not Handled error message would still occur on your computer.
However, if you are still having problems using your computer because of the Blue Screen of Death error message. You can proceed to the next method below to try and fix the issue.
Method 5: Reinstall Windows on Your Computer
As a last resort, if none of the methods above worked in fixing the issue on your computer, you can try reinstalling Windows. It is possible that your system files got corrupted beyond repair and it is best that you just install a fresh copy of Windows 10.
If you know how to install an operating system, then you can proceed and do it yourself. However, keep in mind that all the files on your hard drive would be deleted so make sure that you create a backup first to save all your important files.