How to Fix the Windows Update Error: 80072efe
Contrary to common opinion, Windows updates are crucial for the latest version of Windows and all operating system versions. First and foremost, they are constantly working to resolve issues with bugs, common computer errors, stability, and the addition of new features.
The most important thing is that Microsoft fixes critical software errors that cyber criminals could use if they weren’t fixed, making the system safer.
What the Error Code 80072efe Implies
“80072efe” is an error message comprising details about what caused it, the hardware vendor, or the program that stopped working. This helps to understand the details provided in the numerical code in error. Even if this code’s name contains some information, the problem could arise anywhere in the Windows OS, making it challenging for a user to identify the root cause without specialized technical knowledge or the correct software.
Causes of the 80072efe Windows Update Error
If you have seen this warning pop up on your computer, it indicates an error in how your system works. The error code “80072efe” is one of the problems that customers could experience as a consequence of improper or unsuccessful software installation or removal, which might have resulted in the leaving of invalid entries in system components.
Other potential causes include an incorrect method of shutting down the computer, such as a power loss, or someone with limited technical knowledge mistakenly removing a vital system file or element entry.
The 80072efe error can also be caused by a virus infection or an internet connection interruption, as it can lead to the system failing to communicate with the Windows update servers.
- Your machine is currently running Windows 10
- Restoro is compatible with your operating system.
Recommended: To repair Windows Errors, use this software package; Fortect System Repair. This repair tool has been proven to identify and fix these errors and other Windows problems with very high efficiency.
- 100% safe as confirmed by Norton.
- Only your system and hardware are evaluated.
Troubleshooting Methods for Error Code 80072efe
Before performing any drastic troubleshooting methods, make sure that you have a stable internet connection.
First Method – Check for New Updates
As we have already mentioned, Windows updates bring a lot of neat features and fixes to the Operating System. They add additional security updates to Windows Internet Security by updating it with the latest threats and viruses.
Follow these steps to check for new updates on your system.
- Click on the “Windows” key on your keyboard. Simultaneously press “R” to bring up the run line command prompt window. Type in “control update” and hit enter.
- Click the “Check for Updates” button in the window. You will receive notifications such as “You’re Up to Date” if no updates are necessary.
- Alternatively, download and install if the Tool finds you a new update. You will be required to reboot your computer after an update.
Second Method – Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
You can use a free, built-in tool from Windows that will let you scan and fix common Windows update problems. Follow these steps to run the Windows update troubleshooter.
- Press “Windows” on your keyboard and press “R.” This will open a small window where you can type “control update” in the run command prompt window and hit Enter.
- When the Windows settings open, click “Troubleshoot” and click “Additional Troubleshooters.”
- Next, click “Windows Update” and then click “Run the Troubleshooter.”
- At this point, the troubleshooter will automatically scan and fix errors with Windows update files.
- After the detected issues have been fixed, restart your computer and see if the Windows 10 Update Error 80072efe has been fixed.
Third Method – Delete the Windows “CatRoot2” Folder
CatRoot2 is a Windows System folder required during the window updating procedure. The rootkit2 folder is in charge of maintaining the Windows Update package signatures whenever we attempt to update via Windows Update. and removing the contents of the catroot2 folder to get rid of the corruption and fix the Windows Update issue.
Therefore, as the Cryptographic service relies on the CatRoot2 folder, you must suspend or terminate it here.
- Open the Run command line by pressing the Windows and R keys at the same time and type in “services.msc” and press “enter” or click “OK” to open the Services window.
- In the list of Microsoft services, search and double-click the “Cryptographic Service” to open the cryptographic services properties window. Click on the “Stop” option and then click “Apply” and “OK.”
- Open the File Explorer by pressing the “Windows” + “E” keys simultaneously and navigate to the “System32” folder.
- In the System32 folder, look for the CatRoot2 folder, and delete it.
- After deleting the Catroot2 folder, go back to the Services window, open the Cryptographic window once again, and start the service.
- Restart your computer, run the Windows update, and check if the same issue persists.
Fourth Method – Reset the Windows Update Services
In some circumstances, the Windows Update Service—particularly the Background Intelligent Transfer Service—might not launch independently. This will result in multiple Windows Update issues, including the error code 80072efe. To manually restart Windows Update, follow these instructions.
- Hold down the “Windows” key and press the letter “R,” and type in “cmd” in the command prompt. Press down on both the “ctrl and shift” keys simultaneously and click “OK.” Select “OK” to grant administrator permission on the following prompt.
- Type in the following individually, and hit enter after entering each command.
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
ren C:\\Windows\\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\\Windows\\System32\\catroot2 Catroot2.old
Note: Both of the last two commands are only used to rename the Catroot2 and SoftwareDistribution folders
- Next, you will have to delete files by performing the following steps. In the same CMD window, type in the following commands and hit enter after each command:
- Del “%ALLUSERSPROFILE%ApplicationDataMicrosoftNetworkDownloaderqmgr*.dat”
- cd /d %windir%system32
- After entering the above commands, we will have to restart all the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) through the same CMD window. Remember to hit enter after typing in each command.
- regsvr32.exe oleaut32.dll
- regsvr32.exe ole32.dll
- regsvr32.exe shell32.dll
- regsvr32.exe initpki.dll
- regsvr32.exe wuapi.dll
- regsvr32.exe wuaueng.dll
- regsvr32.exe wuaueng1.dll
- regsvr32.exe wucltui.dll
- regsvr32.exe wups.dll
- regsvr32.exe wups2.dll
- regsvr32.exe wuweb.dll
- regsvr32.exe qmgr.dll
- regsvr32.exe qmgrprxy.dll
- regsvr32.exe wucltux.dll
- regsvr32.exe muweb.dll
- regsvr32.exe wuwebv.dll
- regsvr32.exe atl.dll
- regsvr32.exe urlmon.dll
- regsvr32.exe mshtml.dll
- regsvr32.exe shdocvw.dll
- regsvr32.exe browseui.dll
- regsvr32.exe jscript.dll
- regsvr32.exe vbscript.dll
- regsvr32.exe scrrun.dll
- regsvr32.exe msxml.dll
- regsvr32.exe msxml3.dll
- regsvr32.exe msxml6.dll
- regsvr32.exe actxprxy.dll
- regsvr32.exe softpub.dll
- regsvr32.exe wintrust.dll
- regsvr32.exe dssenh.dll
- regsvr32.exe rsaenh.dll
- regsvr32.exe gpkcsp.dll
- regsvr32.exe sccbase.dll
- regsvr32.exe slbcsp.dll
- regsvr32.exe cryptdlg.dll
- Once all the commands for each Windows service have been entered, we need to reset the Windows Socket by typing in the following order. Once again, make sure to hit enter after entering the command.
- netsh winsock reset
- Now that you have stopped the Windows Update services, turn it back on to refresh it. Type in the following commands in the CMD window.
- net start wuauserv
- net start cryptSvc
- net start bits
- net start msiserver7.
- Close the CMD window and restart your computer. Once your computer is back on, run Windows update to see if the Windows error code 80072efe has already been fixed.
Fifth Method – Run the Network Adapter Troubleshooter
After confirming that your internet connection is working and that only your device is having issues, we strongly suggest running the network adapter troubleshooter.
- Hold down the “Windows” key and press the letter “R,” and type in “control update” in the run command prompt window.
- In the next window, click “Troubleshoot” and click “Additional Troubleshooters.”
- In the next window, you should see the network adapter troubleshooter. Click “Network Adapter” and click “Run the Troubleshooter” in the next window.
- Follow the tool prompts to determine if there are issues with your network adapter. Once it fixes any detected problems, restart your computer and check if the Windows update error 80072efe persists.
Sixth Method – Uninstall Third-Party Antivirus Programs
Remove or disable antivirus and firewall software from a third party, as they can cause Windows Update to fail and disrupt the connection. Consequently, the Windows operating system will be unable to download and install any necessary updates.
If this approach still works for you, you should either switch to a new antivirus product or delete the one you currently use.
Seventh Method – Clean Install Windows
When you perform a clean install of Windows, you restore your machine to its factory settings. This will remove all of your files, folders, and applications, among other things. Programs like Office Suite, peripherals, and even media players are unavailable on your computer. This is occasionally required to resolve an annoying issue, like the Windows update error 80072efe.
- Press on the Windows key + I to open Windows Settings.
- Next, select Update & Security.
- Inside Update & Security, click on Recovery.
- Now, under ‘Reset this PC,’ click on Get Started.
- Lastly, select ‘Remove Everything’ and hit Reset to begin the process.
Again, be patient, as this process will take some time to complete. After the clean install has been completed, Windows will restart itself multiple times and guide you through the initialization process.
When everything is finished, start changing your settings to suit your choices, check for the latest Windows updates immediately, reinstall any desired software and drivers, and start the download process again for your saved files.