Get Windows Password Before Resetting HP Laptop to Factory Settings
If you plan to reset your HP laptop to its factory settings, it is important to note that this process will erase all the data on your computer, including your Windows login password. This can be a problem if you don’t have your password backed up or written down somewhere. In this case, you may need to retrieve your Windows password before proceeding with the factory reset.
Factory Reset HP Laptop After Logging In
1. Press Windows + I to open the Windows Settings app.
2. Click on Update & Security.
3. Click on the Recovery option in the left sidebar.
5. Look for the Reset this PC section under Recovery.
6. Click on the Get Started button under Reset this PC.
7. Windows will be restarted to the Choose an option window.
8. Choose an option:
Keep my files: This option is helpful for users who want to keep their files, such as documents, pictures, and music, while restoring their computer to its default settings.
Remove Everything: Choose this If you are planning to sell your computer.
9. Select how you would like to reinstall Windows.
Cloud download refers to downloading installation files from a remote server, typically hosted by the software vendor, over the internet.
Local reinstall refers to reinstalling software from locally stored installation media, such as a CD or USB drive.
9. If you select Remove everything > choose from Only the drive where Windows is installed and All drives.
10. Choose from Just remove my files and Remove Files and clean the drive.
11. Click the Reset button and wait for the process to complete.
12. After the HP Laptop factory reset process, ensure your Windows and device drivers are up to date.
Factory Reset an HP Laptop From Startup (Through Windows Recovery Environment)
If you discover that you have forgotten your HP laptop password upon turning on the system, there is a straightforward solution to resolve this issue. Initially, power off your HP laptop and disconnect any external devices. Ensure that no external media is connected.
1. Turn on your PC.
2. Click on the power icon at the bottom right corner of the Login screen.
3. Hold and press the Shift key, then click Restart.
4. Your pc will reboot into the Windows recovery environment.
5. In the Choose an option screen, Click on Troubleshoot.
5. Select Reset this PC.
6. Select either Keep my files or Remove everything.
6. If you remove everything, select whether to remove data from just the drive where Windows is installed or all drives.
7. Select whether just to remove files or remove files and clean the drive.
8. Click Reset to begin the process.
Perform HP Laptop Factory Reset Without Password
1. Remove external devices from the HP laptop, including USB drives and printers.
2. Power on your HP laptop and repeatedly press F11 until System recovery starts.
3. Click on Troubleshoot.
4. In the Troubleshoot menu, select Reset this PC.
5. Select either Keep my files or Remove everything.
6. If you choose to Remove everything, select whether to remove data from just the drive where Windows is installed or all drives.
7. Select whether to remove files or remove files and clean the drive.
8. Click Reset to begin the process.
Factory Reset Your HP Laptop With HP Recovery Manager
HP Recovery Manager is a software program pre-installed on many HP computers. It provides an easy way to restore your computer’s operating system, drivers, and software to its original factory settings. This can be useful if you are experiencing problems with your computer or want to erase all the data and settings on it to start fresh.
When using it, HP Recovery Manager typically creates a set of recovery discs or a recovery USB drive. It can be used to restore your computer if it ever experiences a critical system failure or if you need to reset it to its factory settings. In addition, the program also allows you to create a backup of your files and documents before performing a system recovery.
1. Turn off your HP laptop and remove all external hardware.
2. Turn your laptop on and repeatedly press the F11 key until Choose an option appears on the screen.
3. Click on Troubleshoot from the options available on the screen.
4. Select the Recovery Manager option from the troubleshooting menu.
5. Select System Recovery from the given options.
6. Choose the option that suits you best between Back up your files first and Recover without backing up your files.
7. Click on Next, then on Continue, and finally, click on Finish.
8. Wait for a few minutes until the procedure is complete.
The HP recovery manager will restore your laptop’s entire software configuration to its original factory condition and remove all the apps you’ve installed.
Factory Reset HP Laptop Using Hard Reset
Note that the steps for resetting a laptop with a non-removable or sealed battery are similar, except that you don’t need to remove the cover or battery. Additionally, laptop repair and recovery steps are generally the same.
1. Disconnect or remove all peripheral devices, including USB drives, external displays, printers, and the power supply.
2. Power down your HP laptop.
3. Flip the laptop over and locate the battery compartment cover.
4. Use a screwdriver to remove the screws and remove the cover.
5. Gently remove the battery.
6. Press and hold the Power button for at least 15 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge.
7. Correctly reinsert the battery, remove the cover, and tighten the screws.
8. Press the Power button to reboot the HP laptop.
9. Select Start Windows Normally and press Enter if a startup menu appears.
10. Reconnect each peripheral device one by one after a successful startup.
Tip: Most laptops can be reset by pressing and holding the Power button for a few seconds. However, if this doesn’t work for your specific model, you can search online for further instructions.
Factory Reset HP Laptop in BIOS
The BIOS is firmware built into the computer’s motherboard and controls the hardware settings and startup process. In this method, you can use the BIOS to change the boot order and start the computer from a recovery or installation media. This process will erase all the data and settings on your laptop and reinstall the operating system and software to their original factory settings.
1. Start your HP laptop and press the F10 key repeatedly until the BIOS Setup Utility screen appears.
2. Use the arrow keys on your keyboard to navigate to the System Configuration tab and select Boot Options.
3. In the Boot Options menu, select Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive or USB CD/DVD ROM Drive as the primary boot device.
4. Save the changes by pressing the F10 key and selecting Yes.
5. Insert the installation disc or USB drive containing the factory reset files into your laptop’s CD/DVD-ROM drive or USB port.
6. Restart your laptop, which should boot from the installation media.
7. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the factory reset process.
Your Comprehensive Guide to Factory Reset Your HP Laptop
In this detailed guide, we have explored the step-by-step process of resetting an HP laptop to its factory settings and restoring it to its original state. By following the instructions and utilizing the built-in recovery options provided by HP, you can effectively resolve software issues, remove personal data, and start afresh with a clean slate. We covered the different methods available, including using the HP Recovery Manager, Windows Settings, and system recovery discs. Additionally, we discussed important considerations such as data backup and post-reset setup. Whether you’re looking to troubleshoot problems or prepare your laptop for a fresh start, this guide equips you with the knowledge and confidence to perform a successful factory reset on your HP laptop. Take control of your device’s performance and optimize its functionality with ease.