Over the past years, the use of Discord has been rising in popularity. This is not surprising as this tool is straightforward and convenient to use. Discord is a VOIP tool that allows users to connect with other users via voice or chat.
Initially, Discord was programmed to help gamers connect during games. However, it later became apparent that this tool can be used for just about anything and anyone. With millions of users worldwide, it is not surprising that some people have also encountered issues.
Recommended: To easily install drivers automatically, use the tool below.
Why Does Discord App Freeze Suddenly?
When your Discord freezes out of nowhere, it is not related to anything specific. As a result, this problem could happen at any time. Typically, users restart the entire application to address the freezing issue.
Unfortunately, there are times when the entire Windows operating system will freeze as well. In short, users cannot do anything with their entire computer. A
Here are some of the reasons which cause the Discord app to freeze
- Hardware Acceleration – The primary reason why users experience Discord freezing is due to hardware acceleration. Hardware acceleration happens when a specific app offloads some computing tasks onto specialized hardware components. This move should enable better efficiency than using the app with a general-purpose CPU. Unfortunately, it can also cause errors in the application.
- Compatibility Issues – This error is likely due to compatibility errors. To fix this, you must run the application in compatibility mode.
- Keybinds – Keybindings or adding a hotkey allows users to be efficient when using their computers. Keybinding is assigning a key or combination of keys to a keyboard to complete a command. Discord, along with thousands of other apps, uses this feature. Unfortunately, it can sometimes cause your discord app to freeze.
If your Discord app has stopped, you cannot do the below steps. You will have to exit your Discord to process these fixes completely. To do this, hold down CTRL+SHIFT+ESC. You will see a window where you can locate Discord. Right-click on “Discord” and choose End Task.
First Method – Turn off Hardware Acceleration
As mentioned above, while hardware acceleration may be helpful at certain times, it may cause your Discord to freeze. To disable hardware acceleration, follow the steps:
- Open Discord and click the User Settings (gear icon) on your avatar’s right side.
- Choose “Advanced” from the left pane and locate “Hardware Acceleration” you can find this just under the Advanced section. Turn off “Hardware Acceleration.”
- You will be asked to confirm this setting. Click Okay and reboot your Discord.
Second Method – Run Discord in Compatibility Mode
The compatibility issue is another reason for the Discord app to freeze. Thankfully, there is an option to run Discord in compatibility mode. Choose Windows 7 as the compatibility mode, as this typically resolves the problem immediately.
- Close the Discord app by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC and right-clicking on Discord, then End Task.
- Right-click your Discord icon.
- Choose properties.
- Select the Compatibility Tab
- Check the option to Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows 7
- Click Apply. Next, click OK.
- Try to rerun Discord; if the problem persists, you can try to redo the steps above and select Windows 8.
Third Method – Delete Key Bindings
If you use key bindings in any version of Discord, you may experience this issue. Thankfully, deleting any previous key bindings is easy and will resolve the error in no time.
- Open Discord
- Select the User Settings (gear icon) on your avatar’s right side. Choose Keybinds from the left pane.
- Next, you will find a list of keybindings on the right pane. Once you hover your mouse over the list, you will see a red cross icon allowing you to delete the keybind. Delete all the keybindings except the default ones set up by Discord.
- Exit and reboot your Discord.
Discord is a powerful tool that allows you to communicate in real time. This easy and reliable tool is one of the best in the market today. While 99% of the time, Discord functions without issue, there will be times when you encounter errors. The fixes above should be able to help you solve these problems right away.
Windows Automatic Repair Tool
- Your machine is currently running Windows 10
- Restoro is compatible with your operating system.
Recommended: To repair Windows Errors, use this software package; Restoro System Repair. This repair tool has been proven to identify and fix these errors and other Windows problems with very high efficiency.
- 100% safe as confirmed by Norton.
- Only your system and hardware are evaluated.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why does Discord keep freezing when a person types in chat?
Discord freezing when a person types in the chat is likely caused by a problem with the person’s internet connection. If their connection is slow or unreliable, it can cause the Discord app to freeze as it tries to send and receive data. Additionally, if the person is using an older or less powerful device, it may not be able to handle the amount of data being sent and received, which can also cause Discord to freeze.
Why does my Discord keeps freezing when accepting a call?
Several factors could cause the freezing of your Discord when accepting a call. One such factor could be inadequate hardware resources to support the application. The Discord app requires a certain amount of RAM and CPU processing power to run correctly, and if the computer you are using does not meet those requirements, the application may freeze or crash. Additionally, the freezing could be caused by a poor internet connection or if the application is not up to date with the latest patches and updates. Finally, the issue could be caused by some form of malware or virus that is interfering with the proper functioning of the application.
How to reinstall Discord?
Reinstalling Discord is a straightforward process. First, you need to download the latest version of Discord from the website. Once you have the file, you can open it and follow the on-screen instructions to install Discord. If you have an existing version of Discord installed, the new version will replace it.
Discord crashes when screen sharing?
Discord crashes while screen sharing, usually due to a conflict between Discord’s video streaming service and the software or hardware used to share the screen. Several factors, such as outdated drivers, incompatible software, or inadequate hardware, can cause this. To resolve this issue, it is important to ensure that all drivers and software are up to date and that the hardware being used is capable of supporting the screen-sharing feature. Additionally, it may be necessary to adjust the settings within Discord to ensure that the screen-sharing feature is functioning correctly.
Why does my Discord keep not responding?
When a Discord app freezes or crashes, it is likely due to a conflict between the app and the operating system or other applications running on the device. It could also be caused by a lack of resources, such as memory or processing power, which can occur if too many applications are running at once. To help prevent Discord crashing, ensure that the latest app version is installed and that the device has enough resources to run it. Additionally, closing other applications and restarting the device can help to resolve any conflicts that may be causing the issue.
What is causing my discord freezing issue?
A variety of factors can cause discord freezing issues. These factors can include hardware or software-related issues, such as an outdated graphics card or an incompatible version of Discord. Additionally, issues with internet connectivity, such as a slow or unreliable connection, can cause Discord to freeze. Finally, some users may experience freezing if their computer does not have sufficient memory or processing power to handle the Discord application.
How to clear Discord cache?
Clearing the Discord cache is a simple process. First, open your Discord application. Then, go to the User Settings menu in the application’s bottom left corner. Once there, select the “Appearance” tab. At the bottom of this menu, you will find the “Clear Cache” button. Click this button, and the application will clear your cache. That’s it! You’re done. This will ensure that Discord runs with the latest information and should help improve performance.
How to fix Discord keeps freezing issue?
Discord is an online voice and text chat platform. It can sometimes freeze or lag due to various reasons. To fix this issue, you should first try restarting the app. If that doesn’t work, try resetting the voice settings by going to User Settings > Voice & Video > Reset Voice Settings. You can also try updating your audio drivers, as outdated drivers can cause issues with Discord. Additionally, you should check your internet connection and ensure a strong connection. Lastly, if you are using a VPN, try disabling it with Discord. If none of these solutions work, you should contact Discord’s support team for further assistance.