Over the past years, the use of Discord has been rising in popularity. This is not surprising as this tool is extremely easy and convenient to use. Discord is a VOIP tool that allows users to connect with other users via voice or chat.
Initially, Discord was programmed to help gamers connect with each other during games. However, it later became apparent that this tool can be used for just about anything and anyone. With millions of users around the world, it is not surprising that some people have also encountered issues.
For example, their Discord app is getting stuck. In this article, we will take a look at some of the reasons why your Discord app freezes randomly.
Automatically Repair Discord Errors
- Your machine is currently running Windows 10
- This Repair Utility is compatible with your operating system.
Recommended: To repair Discord Errors, use this software package; Restoro System Repair. This repair tool has been proven to identify and fix these errors and other Windows problems with very high efficiency.
- 100% safe as confirmed by Norton.
- Only your system and hardware are evaluated.
Why Does Discord App Freeze Suddenly?
When your Discord App freezes out of nowhere, it is not really related to anything specific. As a result, this problem could happen at any time. Typically, users simply restart the entire application to address the freezing issue.
Unfortunately, there are times when the entire system will freeze as well. In short, users will be unable to do anything with their entire computer. A
Here are some of the reasons which cause the Discord app to freeze
- Hardware Acceleration – The major reason why users experience Discord freezing is due to hardware acceleration. Hardware acceleration happens when a certain app offloads some computing tasks onto specialized hardware components. This move should enable better efficiency compared to using the app with a general-purpose CPU. Unfortunately, it can also cause errors in the application.
- Compatibility Issues – This error is likely due to compatibility errors. To fix this, you simply need to run the application in compatibility mode.
- Keybinds – Keybindings or adding a hot-key allows users to be efficient when using their computer. Keybinding is assigning a key or combination of keys to a keyboard to complete a command. Discord, along with thousands of other apps uses this feature. Unfortunately, it can sometimes cause your discord app to freeze.
You will be unable to do the steps listed below if your Discord app has stopped. You will have to completely exit your Discord to process these fixes. To do this, hold down CTRL+SHIFT+ESC. You will see a window where you can locate Discord. Right-click on “Discord” and choose End Task.
First Method – Turn off Hardware Acceleration
As mentioned above, while hardware acceleration may be helpful at certain times, it may cause your Discord to freeze. To disable hardware acceleration, follow the steps:
- Open Discord and click the User Settings (gear icon) located at the right side of your avatar.
- Choose “Advanced” from the left pane and locate the “Hardware Acceleration” you can find this just under the Advanced section. Turn off “Hardware Acceleration”.
- You will be asked to confirm this setting. Click Okay and reboot your Discord.
Second Method – Run Discord in Compatibility Mode
Compatibility issue is another reason for the Discord app to freeze. Thankfully, there is an option to run Discord in compatibility mode. Choose Windows 7 as the compatibility mode, as this typically resolves the problem immediately.
- Close the Discord app by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC and right-clicking on Discord then End Task.
- Right-click your Discord icon.
- Choose properties.
- Select the Compatibility Tab
- Check the option to Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows 7
- Click Apply. Next, click OK.
- Try to run Discord again, if the problem persists, you can try to redo the steps above and select Windows 8.
Third Method – Delete Key Bindings
If you use key bindings in any versions of Discord, you may experience this issue. Thankfully, deleting any previous key bindings is easy and will resolve the error in no time.
- Open Discord
- Select the User Settings (gear icon) located on the right side of your avatar. Choose Keybinds from the left pane.
- Next, you will find a list of keybindings on the right pane. Once you hover your mouse over the list, you will see a red cross icon that will allow you to delete the keybind. Delete all the keybindings except default ones set up by Discord.
- Exit and reboot your Discord.
Discord is a powerful tool that allows you to communicate in real-time. This easy and reliable tool is one of the best in the market today. While 99% of the time, Discord functions without issue, there will be times when you encounter errors. The fixes above should be able to help you solve these problems right away.