If you are trying to play CS: GO, and suddenly, a VAC Game session error pops up on your screen, you are not alone. Many CS: GO players have encountered this problem with matchmaking.
As you know, being unable to enter matchmaking is really frustrating because you can’t play the game. You are stuck on the home screen with nothing to do.
Lucky for you, this problem with VAC is very easy to fix. Follow the guide below to help you solve this problem.
Recommended: To easily install drivers automatically, use the tool below.
Common Reasons Why VAC Was Unable to Verify Your Game Session
In this section, we will discuss some common reasons why the VAC error occurs, so you can better understand the issue and troubleshoot effectively.
- Server Maintenance or Connectivity Issues: Sometimes, the problem can arise due to ongoing server maintenance or temporary connectivity issues with Steam servers. In these cases, you can try to wait for some time and retry connecting later. Also, check the Steam Community forums for any updates on server status.
- Outdated or Corrupted Game Files: When your game files are outdated or corrupted, the system might not recognize them properly, causing the VAC error. In this case, verifying the integrity of your game files, as described in Method 2, should help you resolve the issue.
- Conflicting Third-party Software: Some third-party software, like antivirus programs, firewalls, or VPNs, can interfere with Steam’s VAC system and cause the error. To fix this issue, you can try disabling these third-party programs temporarily to check if the error persists. Make sure to re-enable your security software once you’re done testing to prevent any vulnerabilities.
- Steam Client Issues: Occasionally, this error is caused by the Steam client itself. Restarting your Steam client or repairing it via the command prompt, as described in Methods 1 and 3, can help fix any client-related issues.
- Invalid Installation of CS: GO or Steam: If the error continues to appear even after attempting the above solutions, there might be a problem with the installation of either CS: GO or Steam itself. In this case, you can try to reinstall both the game and Steam client. Make sure to back up your game settings and files before attempting any reinstallation.
With these common reasons listed, always remember to check for updates, maintain your system, and keep your software current to prevent such errors. Hopefully, knowing these causes will help you quickly resolve the VAC error and get back to enjoying your game.
How to Fix Vac Was Unable to Verify Your Game Session
Method 1: Restart your Steam Client
You can get this error because there are some instances where steam encounters a bug or error within its system. Restarting the client will help you in resolving this issue.
Step 1: On your steam client, click on Steam on the menu bar.
Step 2: Click on exit.
Step 3: Open Steam Client.
Step 4: Click on Steam again on the menu bar.
Step 5: Select Go Offline.
Step 6: A pop-up window will appear; Press Restart in Offline Mode.
Step 7: After restarting steam, click on Steam again on the menu bar.
Step 8: Click on Go Online.
Step 9: Then click on Restart and Go Online.
Method 2: Verify the Integrity of Steam Game Files
By verifying the integrity of your Steam game files, the system will automatically detect any missing or corrupted files and restore them with the correct versions. This method often resolves issues related to outdated or damaged game files, ensuring a smooth gaming experience.
Step 1: Open Steam.
Step 2: Log in to your account.
Step 3: Go to Library.
Step 4: Right Click on the game that you are having problems launching.
Step 5: Click on Properties.
Step 6: Click on the Local Files tab.
Step 7: Click on Verify Integrity of the game.
Step 8: Wait for the process to finish.
Method 3: Repair Steam Client in CMD
Sometimes, an issue within the Steam client itself might cause the VAC verification error. Repairing your Steam client via the command prompt can help address any underlying issues and restore its proper functioning, allowing you to get back to enjoying your CS: GO gaming experience. Follow the steps below to repair the Steam client using CMD.
Step 1: Press on the Windows key + S and Search for Command Prompt.
Step 2: Click on Run as Administrator.
Step 3: On Command Prompt, Type the following lines and hit Enter.
“C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\bin\SteamService.exe” /repair
Step 4: After repairing Steam, try to run CS: GO again and see if the problem is fixed.
- See Also: What to Do When Steam Won’t Open
Method 4: Update your Graphics Card Drivers
Step 1: Determine your graphics card model – Right-click on the desktop and select NVIDIA Control Panel or AMD Radeon Settings.
Step 2: Download the latest drivers for your graphics card from the official NVIDIA or AMD websites.
Step 3: Install the downloaded drivers by following the instructions provided on the website.
Step 4: Restart your computer and check if the issue persists.
Method 5: Disable Background Programs
Some background programs might interfere with CS: GO or Steam, causing the VAC error. Disabling these programs can help fix the problem.
Step 1: Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager.
Step 2: Under the Processes tab, identify any non-essential or resource-heavy programs, right-click on each, and select End Task.
Step 3: Close Task Manager and run CS: GO to see if the issue is fixed.
Note: Make sure not to end vital system processes, as it may cause your computer to malfunction.
Method 6: Reinstall CS: GO
If none of the above methods work, reinstalling CS: GO could fix the issue.
Step 1: Open Steam.
Step 2: Go to Library.
Step 3: Right-click on CS: GO and select Uninstall.
Step 4: Confirm the uninstallation process.
Step 5: Restart your computer.
Step 6: Log in to your Steam account and go to Library.
Step 7: Find CS: GO and select Install to reinstall the game.
Step 8: Once installed, run CS: GO and see if the VAC error is resolved.
Frequently Asked Questions About VAC
What is the VAC Unable to Verify Your Game Session error in CS:GO?
The VAC error is an issue with Valve Anti-Cheat (VAC) system that prevents players from joining a matchmaking session in Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (CS:GO).
How can I fix the VAC error?
There are six methods to fix the error: Restart your Steam client, verify the integrity of Steam game files, repair Steam client using Command Prompt, update your graphics card drivers, disable background programs, and reinstall CS: GO.
How can I verify game file integrity in Steam?
Open Steam, go to Library, right-click on CS: GO, click on Properties, click on the Local Files tab, and then click on “Verify Integrity of Game Files.”
How do I repair the Steam client using Command Prompt?
Open Command Prompt as an administrator, then type and enter the following command: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\bin\SteamService.exe” /repair.
How can I check for driver updates for my graphics card?
Determine your graphics card model by right-clicking on the desktop and selecting NVIDIA Control Panel or AMD Radeon Settings, then download the latest drivers from the official NVIDIA or AMD websites.
How can I disable background programs that interfere with CS: GO?
Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager, then under the Processes tab, end non-essential or resource-heavy tasks. Be careful not to end vital system processes.
Conclusion: Troubleshooting VAC Errors in CS: GO
In conclusion, being able to troubleshoot and fix the VAC Unable to Verify Your Game Session error in CS: GO can improve your gaming experience and get you back into matchmaking successfully.
Following the recommended methods listed above will help you identify and resolve the issue in a systematic and efficient manner. Remember to keep your software updated and minimize background programs to prevent a recurrence of the issue.