Numerous people have recently reported encountering the Windows 10 update error 0x800706ba while downloading and installing new updates on their Windows 10 devices. This critical Windows update services problem will cause an unsuccessful update. As a result, users will be unable to update their operating systems.
Recommended: To easily install drivers automatically, use the tool below.
There could be many reasons one might experience this critical Windows update services issue. It could be missing or corrupted system files and registry entries, complex applications installed in the system, malware infection, and/or corrupt or damaged drivers.
Furthermore, here are some of the situations when the Windows error 0x800706ba may appear:
- When attempting to download and install a fresh new Windows update.
- Trying to print a file or a misconfigured printer sharing settings.
- The Remote Procedure Call (RPC) server is unavailable.
If you’re experiencing a similar issue with your PC, have no fear. In this article, we’ve included a list of methods to assist you in resolving this problem. The repair process of each way may depend on how savvy you are in computers.
Initial Workarounds For Error 0x800706ba
Reboot your computer. One of the easiest ways to fix error 0x800706ba is to restart your system. Hopefully, this simple step will reset any problematic issue after rebooting your PC and check if you still receive the error 0x800706ba.
Configure Windows firewall service and disable antivirus software. Then check if you can complete the Windows updates. Sometimes, your antivirus software or Windows firewall option can interfere with your attempt to update.
If error 0x800706ba persists, go for the fixes mentioned below. The steps listed below are mainly easy to follow.
Fixing the Windows Update Error 0x800706ba
First Method – Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter Tool
The Windows Update Troubleshooter is a built-in application in Windows 10 that can help you resolve Windows error 0x800706ba and other failed Windows update issues. This program was created to diagnose and fix various computer issues quickly. As a result, it’s a good idea to try it first to repair Windows Update issues.
1. Press the “Windows” key on your keyboard and press “R.” This will open a small window where you can type “control update” in the run command window.
- When a new window opens, click “Troubleshoot” and “Additional Troubleshooters.”
- Next, click “Windows Update” and then “Run the Troubleshooter.”
- At this point, the troubleshooter will automatically scan and fix errors in your PC. Once done, you will see a pop-up window telling you what items were fixed.
- After the detected issues have been fixed, restart your computer to see if the failed Windows updates error 0x800706ba has been fixed.
Second Method – Use 3rd Party Software
Another good way to fix error code 0x800706ba is to use 3rd party software. Tools like Restoro work exceptionally well to locate Windows update errors. Furthermore, this tool can also find corrupt system files, malicious files, and more. You can easily follow on-screen instructions to start fixing error 0x800706ba.
Third Method – Run the Windows System File Checker (SFC) scan and the DISM Tool
You can use Windows SFC scan and DISM to examine and fix the corrupted file and 0x800706ba error. These tools are included with every version of Microsoft networks operating systems and are one of the most dependable ways to resolve any update issues.
1. Press the “Windows” and the letter “R” keys to bring up the Run dialog box. Then type in “cmd,” hold down the “ctrl and shift” keys together and press “enter.” Click “OK” on the prompt to grant administrator permission and open the command prompt.
- Type “sfc /scannow” and press “enter” on the Command Prompt window, and wait for the scan to complete once the scan is complete, restart your computer and confirm if the issue is fixed.
The System File Checker will now commence scanning and repairing your PC. You’ll need to restart your computer when done. Next, run the Windows Update tool to check if the Windows update error 0x800706ba has been fixed.
Fourth Method – Performing a DISM Scan
Another tool you could use to troubleshoot and fix Windows update issues, such as the error code, is the Windows DISM. You can use the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool to determine which drivers or packages are causing the problems.
1. Press the “Windows” key and the letter “R” to bring up the Run command window. Then type in “cmd,” hold down the “ctrl and shift” keys together and press “enter.” Click on “OK” on the prompt to grant administrator permission.
- Type in “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” and press “enter.”
- Wait until the scan is complete and restart your computer. Open up the Windows Update tool, begin the update process, and see if the 0x800706ba error has been fixed.
Fifth Method – Manually Restart the Windows Update Services via CMD
Despite being one of the most widely used operating systems, Windows 10 is far from perfect. There may be times when the Operating System’s functionalities do not function properly. Resetting Windows Update Components is the most basic fix to this problem. The Windows Update services are in charge of installing updates, and if they fail during a Windows Update, they should be restarted.
- Hold down the “Windows” key and press the letter “R,” and type in “cmd” in the command line. Press down on both the “ctrl and shift” keys simultaneously and press “enter.” Select “OK” to grant administrator permission on the next prompt.
- In the command prompt window, type in the following entries individually and press enter after entering each command.
• net stop wuauserv
• net stop cryptSvc
• net stop bits
• net stop msiserver
• ren C:\\Windows\\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
• ren C:\\Windows\\System32\\catroot2 Catroot2.old
Note: Both of the last two commands are only used to rename the Catroot2 and SoftwareDistribution folders
- Next, you must delete a particular file by performing the following steps. In the same CMD window, type in the following commands and press enter after each command:
• Del “%ALLUSERSPROFILE%ApplicationDataMicrosoftNetworkDownloaderqmgr*.dat”
• cd /d %windir%system32
- After entering the above commands, we will have to restart all the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) through the same CMD window. Remember to press enter after typing in each command.
• regsvr32.exe oleaut32.dll
• regsvr32.exe ole32.dll
• regsvr32.exe shell32.dll
• regsvr32.exe initpki.dll
• regsvr32.exe wuapi.dll
• regsvr32.exe wuaueng.dll
• regsvr32.exe wuaueng1.dll
• regsvr32.exe wucltui.dll
• regsvr32.exe wups.dll
• regsvr32.exe wups2.dll
• regsvr32.exe wuweb.dll
• regsvr32.exe qmgr.dll
• regsvr32.exe qmgrprxy.dll
• regsvr32.exe wucltux.dll
• regsvr32.exe muweb.dll
• regsvr32.exe wuwebv.dll
• regsvr32.exe atl.dll
• regsvr32.exe urlmon.dll
• regsvr32.exe mshtml.dll
• regsvr32.exe shdocvw.dll
• regsvr32.exe browseui.dll
• regsvr32.exe jscript.dll
• regsvr32.exe vbscript.dll
• regsvr32.exe scrrun.dll
• regsvr32.exe msxml.dll
• regsvr32.exe msxml3.dll
• regsvr32.exe msxml6.dll
• regsvr32.exe actxprxy.dll
• regsvr32.exe softpub.dll
• regsvr32.exe wintrust.dll
• regsvr32.exe dssenh.dll
• regsvr32.exe rsaenh.dll
• regsvr32.exe gpkcsp.dll
• regsvr32.exe sccbase.dll
• regsvr32.exe slbcsp.dll
• regsvr32.exe cryptdlg.dll
- Once all the commands have been entered, we need to reset the Windows Socket by typing in the following command. Once again, make sure to press enter after entering the command.
• netsh winsock reset
- Now that you have stopped the Windows Update services turn it back on to refresh it. Type in the following commands in the command prompt window.
• net start wuauserv
• net start cryptSvc
• net start bits
• net start msiserver
- Close the Command Prompt window and restart your computer. Once your computer is back on, run the Windows update to see if the error has been fixed.
Sixth Method – Enable/Restart the Background Intelligent Transfer services (BITS)
Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) is a critical Windows 10 feature that must be enabled for any Windows Update to function. When the Windows Update Service fails, BITS allows your system to display an error notice but does not take further action. An issue occasionally causes the Windows update error 0x800706ba with BITS, and you should reset your BITS to fix the problem correctly.
- Press the Windows + R key on your keyboard to open the dialog box.
- In the dialog box, type “services.msc” and press Enter.
- Locate the Background Intelligent Transfer Service and then double-click on it to open up its properties.
- Next, verify that the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) is operating correctly. If you find out it is not working right, click the Start button.
- Proceed to the recovery tab and ensure that the first and second failures are set to the Restart service.
- Finally, confirm the selection and check if the updates are working just fine and if the error code 0x800706ba.
Seventh Method – Update Manually
If you’re having trouble getting the Windows Update program to download fresh updates automatically, you may update manually and install updates. Here are the procedures to take to do this.
- Check out the System Type your computer runs on by holding down “Windows Key + Pause Break.” This will bring up your Operating System type.
- Find out what Windows Update code you need to download. Click on the download button and install. Open our Windows Update tool and copy the update code that shows the error message. Please see the example below:
- When you have secured the code for the pending Windows Update, go to the Microsoft Update catalog here. Once you are on the website, type in the code in the search bar, and download and install the Windows updates setup file manually from the search results.
- Find the file that is appropriate for your system. Note that x64-based systems mean it is for 64-bit OS, and x86-based systems are for 32-bit OS.
Eighth Method- Turn On Critical Windows Update Services
In any client computer, several services play a critical role in ensuring smooth updates and reducing the chances of having error codes. Turning on these vital services will help fix the issue.
- Press the Windows+R shortcut key on your keyboard to open the Run dialog box.
- In the text box, type services.msc and hit enter.
- Once inside the Services window, scroll down and search for Windows Update.
- Locate the service, and double-click on it.
- Next, in the Properties window, set the Startup type to Automatic.
- Go to the Service status section, and hit the Start button if it is not running.
- Click OK to save the changes.
You also need to search for the Background Intelligent Transfer and Workstation services. Be sure the Startup type of these services is set to Automatic. Also, click on the Start button (under Service status) if these services are Stopped.
Restart your PC and try to update your Windows again.
Ninth Method – Reset Windows Update Components
If none of the suggestions above worked, you could try resetting the Windows Update Components into their default state.
The best thing to do if you get the Windows Update error 0x800706ba while using the Windows Update Tool or installing a new program is to relax and not panic. This is a minor problem that can be fixed using any of the solutions we’ve offered.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is RPC server is unavailable?
The Remote Procedure Call (RPC) server is a network service that allows programs running on different devices on a network to communicate with each other. When the RPC server is unavailable, it means that this service is not running or responding to requests, which can prevent programs from communicating with each other and can cause various errors and issues. Several factors, such as network connectivity issues, server downtime, or problems with the RPC service itself, can cause this. To resolve this issue, IT professionals can try restarting the RPC service, troubleshooting network connectivity, or checking for server downtime.
What causes Windows update error 0x800706ba?
Several factors, such as network connectivity issues, problems with the RPC service, or server downtime, can cause error 0x800706ba.
How do I fix Windows update error 0x800706ba?
The Windows update error 0x800706ba typically occurs when there is a problem with the Windows Update service on your computer.
To fix the error, the first thing you should try is to restart your computer and then try to run the Windows Update again. This can often resolve temporary issues and allow the update to complete successfully.
If the error persists, the next step is to check for and fix any issues with the Windows Update service on your computer. To do this, you can use the “Windows Update troubleshooter” tool, a built-in utility in Windows that can automatically detect and fix common problems with the Windows Update service.