Manually updating graphics card drivers can be rather tricky, as we’ll see later. Also, with monthly releases of graphics card driver updates, it’s challenging to stay on top of everything.
Even the most technically knowledgeable can become frustrated with the ongoing search for the next update. It isn’t always easy updating drivers, especially with fake websites luring naive people into installing programs laced with viruses or malware that can cause damage to your computer. There is a proper way to approach driver upgrades to avoid this from happening to you.
We’ll show you how to properly update the most popular types of GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) drivers in this article and some basic recommendations for dealing with any issues that may emerge. Although this article is focused on gaming computers, most of it applies to any Windows machine.
What is a Graphics Card Driver
A graphics driver is a piece of software that enables your operating system and apps to access the graphics hardware on your computer. To get the most out of your GPU, keep the drivers of your graphics card updated.
Importance of Keeping Your Graphics Drivers Updated
Speed increases are not usually achieved by updating the drivers for your computer’s sound card, motherboard, and Network Interface Card (NIC). They do an excellent job of finding bug fixes, but they also bring new ones. So, if everything is going fine, it’s usually not worth the trouble.
It’s not like this when it comes to your GPU, more often known as a GPU. Both AMD and NVIDIA routinely release updated driver software for their GPU, resulting in significant performance increases, especially for modern titles. Intel has begun to release more frequent updates on their video drivers as they become more serious about the performance of integrated graphics.
How to Update Your Graphics Driver
It’s not very common for people to need to update their graphics driver in most cases. But if you often play games, create 3D graphics, or work with video, you should maintain an updated graphics card driver. There are various methods to achieve this that may be time-consuming and difficult, but your Windows machine is clever enough to locate what it needs. It’s just a matter of knowing how and when to start the update process.
Here is our easy-to-follow guide on how you can update your graphics card.
First Method – Use the Windows Update Tool to Update Your Graphics Drivers
The Windows Update utility will not only automatically download and install GPU driver updates, but it will also install driver updates for other devices that are connected to the computer. In addition, certain upgrades will include security patches, hotfixes, and other critical software updates.
- Press the “Windows” key on your keyboard and press “R” to bring up the run line command and type in “control update” and press enter.
- Click on “Check for Updates” in the Windows Update window. If there are no updates available then you should get a message saying “You’re Up to Date”.
- If the Windows Update Tool finds a new update for your graphics drivers, let it get the drivers installed automatically and wait for it to complete. You may be required to restart your computer in order for the Windows Update tool to install new driver downloads.
Second Method – Update Graphics Drivers Through the Device Manager
Another method that you can perform is through the Windows Device Manager. The Device Manager method is pretty straightforward and does not require high technical knowledge.
- Hold down the “Windows” and “R” keys and type in “devmgmt.msc” in the run command line, and press enter to open device manager.
- In the list of devices in the Device Manager, double click to expand “Display Adapters” right-click on your GPU, and click on “Update drivers”.
- In the next window, select “Search Automatically for Drivers” and wait for the download to complete and run the installation.
- Once the graphics drivers have been installed successfully, close Device Manager and restart your computer and check if graphics card has successfully been updated.
If searching for the Graphics Driver did not update your driver, you could update drivers manually do it. Follow these steps below:
- Perform the same steps above in Device Manager but instead of searching automatically for drivers, click on “Browse my computer for drivers.”
- In the next window, you will be asked about the driver’s location that you already have downloaded. If you already have it downloaded to your computer, select the folder location where you have downloaded the driver. However, if you want to see a list of the available drivers compatible with your display adapters, select the second option.
Manually Download and Update Graphics Drivers
To manually download and install the driver of your GPU, you will have to visit the website of the manufacturer of your GPU. Fortunately, there are only three major manufacturers of graphics cards. Click the links below to visit their official websites:
Automatically Update Graphics Drivers in Windows
There are two ways to get your drivers installed your graphics driver automatically. You can use your respective graphics card manufacturer’s companion application to download and install a new graphics driver for you automatically. Each application depends on what graphics card you have installed on your computer.
Here’s a summary of what companion application you need to install on your computer to enjoy automated graphics drivers installation.
- NVIDIA – GeForce Experience
- AMD Radeon – AMD Radeon Software
- Intel HD Drivers – Intel Driver & Support Assistant
Using a Third-Party Application to Update Your Graphics Driver
A third-party auto-optimization tool will keep the drivers on your Windows computer updated. You must first install driver update software, such as Restoro.
Restoro offers a comprehensive and automated solution for Windows computers. This helps repair damaged, outdated, and missing drivers on a Windows 10 PC. Additionally, Restoro also keeps your computer safe from online threats.
Why Choose Restoro
Restoro has many excellent features, and the software is virtually totally automated, so even inexperienced users may use it without difficulty. It’s one of the best optimization solutions available because it can fix virus damage and recover damaged or missing system files.
If you want a simple system optimization tool that can resolve various issues, Restoro is one of the best apps.
To download and install Restoro, follow these steps:
- Using your preferred internet browser, go to Restoro’s official website to download their latest setup file and install the program.
- Once Restoro has been installed on your Windows PC, you will be directed to the homepage of Restoro. Click on Start Scan to let Restoro analyze what needs to be performed on your computer.
- Once the scan is complete, click on Start Repair to update the outadated drivers that Restoro has found that are on your computer.
- Once Restoro has completed the repair and updates on the incompatible driver, restart your computer.
Manually downloading and installing new updates for your graphics driver might be a pain. After all, you don’t want to spend time searching for new drivers for your computer every time you turn it on. If you want to keep your computer up to date, you might want to use a service like Restoro.