Screenshots are an essential tool in today’s digital age. They allow us to capture and save images of what is displayed on our screens, whether a website, a document, or a message. Taking a screen capture is a simple and efficient way to save important information, share it with others, or document an error or problem.
Recommended: To easily install drivers automatically, use the tool below.
Benefits of Taking Screenshots
- Quick and easy sharing: Screenshots allow instant sharing of information with others, eliminating the need for manual transcription or recreation of what is on your screen.
- Troubleshooting and problem-solving: Screenshots can be used as documentation, providing valuable information to technical support or developers for troubleshooting and resolving issues or errors.
- Visual explanation: Screenshots are useful for providing visual explanations, such as instructions for a task or demonstrating the issue at hand.
How to Screenshot on Dell Laptops
Method 1: The Prt Sc Combos
The location and label of the Prt Sc key may vary depending on the specific model of Dell laptops, but it is commonly labeled as Prt Sc or F10. This key is typically located in the top row of the keyboard, and on some Dell models, it may be located next to the Delete key. To capture a screenshot on Dell laptops running Windows 8, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10, you can use certain keyboard combinations:
CAPTURE entire screen
To capture the entire screen simultaneously, press the Windows key and the Prt Sc key simultaneously. The screen will briefly flicker to indicate that a screenshot has been taken.
CAPTURE single active window
To capture a single active window, click on the desired window and press Alt + Prt Sc simultaneously.
CAPTURE all active windows
To capture all active windows, simply press the Prt Sc key.
If you are using a tablet,
Press the Windows logo button + the volume down button together. The image will be saved in the Screenshots subfolder within the Pictures folder.
TAKING A Screenshot WITHOUT A Keyboard Print Key
If you are having trouble finding the Print Screen (Prt Sc) button on your keyboard, it’s possible that your device doesn’t have one. However, there is still a way to take a screenshot.
To take a screenshot, locate the Function keys on your Dell computer (Fn keys) on your keyboard. Then press Fn key + Windows key + Space Bar buttons:
This will take a screenshot in the same way that the Print Screen button would.
Method 2: Fn key + Print Screen key
If you have been attempting to take a screenshot on your Dell laptop using the key combinations mentioned above but can still not capture an image, the issue may be that the Print Screen key has another function assigned to it. On a Dell desktop and Dell laptops that have an Fn button, the Print Screen and End functions may be accessible through the same key.
Follow this combination:
Fn key + Prt Sc key
This will work regardless of which functions the Print Screen key is paired with.
Method 3: Screenshot with Windows Snipping Tool
If you prefer an alternative method, you can use the Snipping Tool, a built-in feature in Windows that allows you to capture screenshots in different shapes. Access the Snipping Tool via Start Menu.
Once the Snipping Tool is open, you will have several options. Select New or press Ctrl + N together to start a new capture.
The Snipping Tool offers four different types of capture options:
- The Rectangular Snip, the default option, captures a rectangular area of your screen.
- The Free Form Snip allows you to capture any shape you desire by drawing around the area you want to capture.
- The Window Snip captures an active window with one simple click.
- The Full-Screen Snip captures the whole screen at once, which can be useful for using multiple monitors.
Once you have captured your screenshot, you can press Ctrl + S to save the image in your desired location.
Alternatively, copy and paste your Snip to Microsoft Paint if you want to edit your Snip. To open Microsoft Paint,
Click Start >> All Programs >> Accessories >> Paint. Select Paste from the Edit menu, or press Ctrl + V on your keyboard.
Method 4: Using the Game Bar
Gamers may already be familiar with this, but did you know that the Game Bar can also take screenshots and screen recordings on a Dell laptop? To start capturing using the Game Bar:
- Press the Windows key + G key combination to open the Game Bar.
2. Click on the camera icon and a screenshot of your full screen will be taken.
3. To access the screenshots you’ve taken, go to Videos >> Captures.
Method 5: Use an Alternative Called Markup Hero
Markup Hero is a great option if you’re looking for a tool that offers a wider range of features for capturing and editing screenshots. This application allows you to take screenshots and edit and annotate them on the fly.
With Markup Hero, you can capture your thoughts and ideas, mark them up, and share them with your friends and colleagues. It also includes features such as tagging, sorting, and organizing images into separate folders and the ability to upload them to the web. This can help streamline communication and increase productivity.
Method 6: Using Other External Applications
However, if you require more advanced features to take a screenshot, you may consider using a specialized screen capture application. These applications offer a range of additional features such as the ability to add annotations, type text, crop and edit images, record videos, share pictures, and more.
For those who do not wish to spend money on an application, there are several free alternatives such as TinyTake, Jing, Greenshot, Screenpresso, LightShot, and many others.
Add LightShot as a Chrome Extension
If you’re looking for convenience, add an external tool as a chrome extension. This will give you an easier way to take screen captures in just one snap. There are 2 ways to add LightShot on Chrome:
1. Via the Chrome Web Store
To add LightShot via the chrome web store, follow these steps:
1. Go to Chrome Web Store >> search for LightShot or visit the Lightshot page on the Web Store.
2. Click the Add to Chrome button.
4. You should receive a notification that Lightshot has been added to Chrome. You will also see a new icon in the top right corner near the Download icon. If the icon is not visible, click the puzzle piece icon to find it.
5. Click on the Lightshot icon or menu entry to begin taking screenshots of your browser window, which can be saved locally or uploaded to the web. If you choose to upload the screenshot, it will open in a new tab.
2. Use third-party app distribution platforms for installation
When you clicked Add extension in step 3 above, you may have noticed a Lightshot file being downloaded for a moment. Although you may not be able to find it in your Downloads folder or the list of downloads in Chrome, it is present on your computer and takes up roughly 650 KB of space.
This can lead to third-party distribution websites or individuals who collect these files. Each file corresponds to certain versions of the chrome extension. Therefore, if the method above doesn’t work or if you have trouble with Lightshot not working, you can seek out these extensions. To manually add a Chrome extension for Lightshot, you can follow these steps:
- Download the Lightshot extension, which may come in the form of a ZIP or RAR file that needs to be extracted or a .crx file that may appear as an unknown file or have a folder icon.
- Open Chrome and type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar.
- Click on Load packed and choose the ZIP or RAR file from step 1. Alternatively, you can simply drag the .crx file to the Extensions browser tab.
- Give it the necessary permissions and install it.
- Every time you restart Chrome, you may receive a notification to Disable developer mode extensions. This is because you installed it outside Chrome Web Store. You can click Cancel to continue using your browser.
In conclusion, taking screenshots on Dell devices is a simple and efficient way to save, share, and document important information. Multiple methods are available to capture a screenshot on a Dell laptop, desktop, or tablet, whether you’re using the built-in Print Screen key combinations, the Snipping Tool, the Game Bar, or a specialized screen capture application.
Each method has its unique features and benefits, making it easy to choose the best one for your needs. With the ability to capture thoughts, ideas, and images, annotate them, and share them with others, screenshots are a valuable tool that can help improve communication, speed up workflow, and document important information.