Adding a printer in Windows 10 is a simple process that can be done in a few easy steps. The process is straightforward whether you want to connect a wired or wireless printer or even a Bluetooth printer. This guide will walk you through the steps to successfully add a printer to your Windows 10 computer.
Recommended: To easily install drivers automatically, use the tool below.
We will cover manual and automatic setup options and troubleshooting tips for any issues that may arise. By following this guide, you can print documents, photos, and more from your computer in no time.
Add a Printer Properly in Windows 10 and Save More Time!
Connecting printers properly on Windows 10 is important because it ensures that the printer is fully functional and you can use all its features. Properly connecting a printer also ensures that the computer and printer communicate correctly, allowing you to print documents, photos, and other materials as expected.
Additionally, properly connecting a printer ensures that the computer can detect and use the correct drivers necessary for the printer to function properly. This is also essential in avoiding the most common problems you can encounter, which are below:
- Printer not detected: This common issue can occur when the computer cannot find the printer on the network or when the printer is not turned on. This can be caused by several factors, including incorrect network settings, outdated drivers, or hardware issues.
- Driver issues: Incompatibility or outdated drivers can cause problems when trying to add a printer. This can lead to issues such as the printer not functioning properly or not being recognized by the computer.
- Network connectivity issues: When adding a network printer, connectivity issues can arise for various reasons, such as incorrect IP address configuration, firewall settings, or router configuration. This can cause the printer to be unavailable on the network and prevent it from being added to the computer.
5 Easy Ways to Add a Printer Device in Windows 10
Multiple options are available if you want to connect a wired, wireless, or Bluetooth printer. This guide will walk you through 5 easy ways to add a printer device in Windows 10.
It will cover manual and automatic setup options and troubleshooting tips for any issues. By following this guide, you can print documents, photos, and more from your computer in no time.
Add a local printer
A local printer is physically connected to the computer and does not require a network connection but only a USB cable. Adding a local printer in Windows 10 is a simple process that can be done in a few easy steps:
1. Connect your printer to your computer using a USB cable and turn it on.
2. Access the Settings app from the Start menu.
3. Navigate to the Devices section.
4. Select “Add a printer or scanner.”
5. If Windows detects your printer, click on its name and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process.
6. If your printer is not detected, click on the link “The printer I want isn’t listed.”
7. Allow the Windows troubleshooting guide to assist you in finding your printer. This will include searching for available printers and providing instructions for downloading the necessary drivers.
Connect Wireless Printers
Connecting a wireless printer allows you to print wirelessly from your computer without needing a USB cable. Take advantage of the convenience and flexibility that comes with having a wireless printer by following these steps:
1. Click on the Start button
2. Go to Settings >> Select Devices >> Click Printers & scanners
3. Select “Add a printer or scanner.”
4. Wait for the device to search for nearby printers
5. Choose the printer you want to use, then select “Add device.”
Additionally, keep in mind the following:
Download and install the latest printer drivers – downloading and installing the latest printer driver is important to ensure the printer functions correctly and has security updates, bug fixes, and new features. Without the latest drivers, the printer may not work correctly.
Set a default printer in Windows – Setting a default printer in Windows ensures that the printer selected will automatically be used for all printing tasks unless specified otherwise. This eliminates the need to constantly select the desired printer for each print job, saving time and increasing efficiency.
Add a Shared Printer via HomeGroup
Adding a shared printer via HomeGroup is a great way to share a printer with multiple computers on your home network. Windows HomeGroup feature automatically shares printers and certain files with other computers on your home network. Setting up a HomeGroup is simple and once it is set up, connecting to a shared printer is easy.
If your home network does not already have a HomeGroup set up, follow these steps to create one:
- Right-click on the wireless icon >> select Open Network and Sharing Center.
- Click Ready to create next to HomeGroup.
- Hit the Create a homegroup button >> Next
- Select what you want to be shared.
- Take note of the autogenerated password Windows has provided. This will let your computer in when you join the HomeGroup.
- Click Finish.
To connect to the shared printer on the HomeGroup, go to the other computer(s) on your network and follow these steps:
1. Click on Homegroup and then the Join now button in Windows Explorer >> Next
2. Verify what you want to share >> click Next.
3. Enter the password and click Next.
4. Click Finish.
Add a Network Printer to Windows 10 Via Wi-Fi
Adding a network printer to Windows 10 via Wi-Fi is a convenient way to connect your printer to your computer without needing cables. Follow the steps below and get an overview of the process of adding a network printer, such as a canon network printing device, to your Windows 10 computer via a Wi-Fi connection:
1. Open the Windows Start menu >> Settings >> Select Devices
2. Go to Printers & Scanners >> Click Add a Printer >> Select The printer that I want isn’t listed.
3. Choose to Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings.
4. Press Create a New Port and select Standard TCP/IP from the drop-down menu.
5. Enter your printer’s IP address >> click next.
6. Select the appropriate device type that corresponds to your printer brand.
7. Install the print driver by choosing your printer manufacturer and the driver for your printer model.
8. Choose to Use the currently installed driver (recommended) >> press next.
9. Set up optional preferences, such as naming the printer and setting up printer sharing.
10. Print a test page to verify the setup of your canon network printer was successful.
Add Bluetooth Printer
A Bluetooth printer lets you wirelessly connect your printer to your computer without cables or a network connection. It requires that you pair the device like any other Bluetooth device and also ensures that the communication port or COM port that appears on Windows and the print driver is the same. To add:
1. Go to Start > Settings > Bluetooth and Other Devices, and toggle on Bluetooth.
2. Click Add Bluetooth or other devices.
3. Select Bluetooth as the device type to add. Windows will show a list of detected Bluetooth devices.
4. Click on your Bluetooth printer >> press Ready to Pair
5. Pair your computer and printer. Some devices will pair automatically, while others may require a PIN. Implement the on-screen instructions to confirm the connection.
6. Check the COM Port in Device Manager by going to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Devices & Printers.
7. Right-click on the Bluetooth printer and select Properties. In the Services tab, you should see the COM port used by the printer.
8. Install the driver with the same COM Port. In the Ports tab of the printer’s driver installation window, ensure the port in Windows Device Manager matches the one you set up with the print driver.
9. Print a test page to ensure that you have a successful printer connected.
- Your machine is currently running Windows 10
- Fortect is compatible with your operating system.
Recommended: To repair Windows Errors, use this software package; Fortect System Repair. This repair tool has been proven to identify and fix these errors and other Windows problems with very high efficiency.
- 100% safe as confirmed by Norton.
- Only your system and hardware are evaluated.
Adding a printer in Windows 10 can seem daunting at first, but with the right guidance, it can be a straightforward process. Multiple options are available if you want to connect a wired, wireless, or Bluetooth printer.
Understanding the process of adding a printer and being familiar with the troubleshooting tips can save time and effort. It’s also important to keep in mind that updating the printer’s drivers and software ensures it is fully compatible with the computer and functions correctly.
Overall, adding a printer in Windows 10 can bring a lot of convenience and flexibility to your daily tasks. We hope that this guide has provided you with lots of easy guides! Stay tuned for more.