Fixing Discord Camera Not Working: A Step-by-Step Guide
Discord Camera Not Working refers to a problem where the camera feature on the Discord app or Discord web version is not functioning properly and is unable to capture or display live video.
What causes Discord “camera not working”
- Permission issues: Discord requires access to your device’s camera to function properly. If you have not granted permission to the app to access the camera, this could lead to the camera not working.
- Outdated or corrupted drivers: If the drivers for your camera are outdated or corrupted, this can cause the camera not to work in Discord. Updating or reinstalling the drivers can often fix this issue.
- Background apps using the camera: If another app is using the camera, it might not be available for Discord to use. Closing the background app or disabling it in the task manager can often resolve the issue.
12 Ways to Fix Discord Camera Not Working
Rearrange Your USB Devices
Your camera may not function properly if your USB ports are congested. An error message “Not enough USB controller resources” may appear on your screen since each USB port in your PC can only handle a limited number of endpoints. If the limit exceeds, this will cause the issue. To start fixing, a rearrangement of your USB devices is necessary. Before attempting this,
1. Close Discord completely and ensure that no related processes are running in your system’s Task Manager.
2. Disconnect all devices from the USB ports and restart your computer.
3. Once restarted, connect your camera to a single USB port (preferably a USB 3.0 port) and see if the issue is resolved.
4. If not, try connecting it to the other available ports to determine if the problem is due to exceeding the number of available USB endpoints.
Check the Privacy Settings
To ensure your camera is enabled in Discord:
1. Press the Windows key + I
2. Go to Privacy >> Camera
3. Keep the “Allow apps to access your camera” toggled on
4. Check if the “Camera access for this device” is also on under the “Change” button
5. Check if “Allow desktop apps to access your camera” needs to be toggled on.
6. Restart Discord and check if the camera is functioning properly.
To ensure the proper functioning of an external webcam, ensure the cables are securely connected. A faulty or loose cable can result in your USB camera not working. To determine the source of the issue, try testing the camera in another app.
Launch Discord with Administrator Privileges
Microsoft continuously strives to improve the security features in each new version of Windows. One such feature is the need for administrative rights to access protected Windows resources, such as the microphone and camera. To resolve any potential issues with Discord, try launching the application with administrative privileges.
- Type Discord in the Windows search box (next to the Windows button).
- From the results, right-click on Discord and select “Run as Administrator.”
- After launching Discord in this manner, verify that it is functioning properly.
- Restart Your Device
A common solution for fixing small bugs or glitches on your device is to restart it. Whether you use the Discord app or the Discord web, you can easily solve this issue by following these steps:
- Click on the Start button >> Select restart
- Press and hold the Power button
- Select Restart
Note: The steps may vary depending on the version of your Android device.
1. Simultaneously press and hold your iPhone’s Side and Volume buttons.
2. Slide the Power Off slider to the right.
3. Again, press and hold the Side button for restarting.
Open Discord via Web
The web version of Discord can be explored if encountering issues with the app. It offers a similar user interface and includes all the crucial features necessary for a seamless experience.
- Access Discord via a web browser.
- Log in using your account information.
- Attempt to initiate a video call through the web version of Discord.
If the issue is resolved through the web version, it indicates there is a problem with the Discord app.
Reinstall the Camera Driver
Camera drivers that are corrupted or outdated can also cause issues with your Discord camera. To resolve this, try updating the camera drivers on Windows via Device Manager.
1. Press the Windows key + S to open Windows Search. Key in “device manager” >> press Enter.
2. Locate the Camera section, right-click on your webcam, and select “Update driver.”
3. Check if your camera is working on Discord. If the issue remains, repeat the above steps but this time, select uninstall device drivers instead of updating, then restart your PC. Windows will automatically reinstall the drivers.
Close all the background app
A common cause of the Discord camera not functioning issue is that another application is using the camera in the background, making it unavailable for Discord. To prevent conflicts and allocate more resources to Discord, try ending background programs.
1. Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc simultaneously to initiate the Task Manager.
2. Choose all background apps that aren’t necessary and click “End task” on each side to close them.
3. Launch the Discord camera to check if the issue has been resolved.
Disable Hardware Acceleration
If you have enabled hardware acceleration in Discord to improve your computer’s performance, it may result in issues with the camera. Try disabling hardware acceleration in Discord to see if it fixes the problem.
1. Launch the Discord app on your PC and click the gear icon next to your username to access Settings.
2. Go to the Voice & Video tab and turn off the H.264 Hardware Acceleration option on the right.
Using older software may result in various glitches on your device, which could be why your Discord camera is not working. To address this issue, try updating your software and your Discord application.
On a computer
- Click on the Start button >> scroll and select Settings.
- Select Update & Security.
- Click “Check for Updates” >> install those that are available.
On a phone
- Go to Settings and tap on General/About Phone.
- Check for available software updates.
- Tap on Install Now.
It’s important to keep both your software and Discord application up to date.
Reset Discord Voice Settings
Another possible solution to resolve camera issues on Discord is to reset the voice settings within the app.
1. Access the User settings in Discord.
2. Go to the Voice & Video section on the left side.
3. On the right, scroll all the way down and click on the Reset Voice Settings button.
4. Confirm the prompt by clicking Okay.
5. Restart Discord and verify if the problem has been resolved.
If all other solutions have failed, you may have an issue with corrupted app data or an improper installation of Discord. To fix this, you can delete all the app data and reinstall the Discord app. Here’s how:
- Open the Run command by pressing Windows key + R, then type in %AppData% and press Enter.
- In the file explorer that opens, locate the Discord folder and delete it by clicking on the trash icon.
- Go to the Start menu, type in Discord, and select Uninstall.
- After uninstalling, download a fresh copy of Discord from the Microsoft Store.
From updating drivers and checking privacy settings to troubleshooting hardware and software, the article covers various solutions to help users resolve their camera problems. The article highlights the importance of following step-by-step instructions and performing thorough troubleshooting before reaching a conclusion about the problem.
By following these tips, users can effectively resolve their camera issues and enjoy seamless video calls and live streams on Discord.