[Fixed] Chrome Side by Side Configuration is Incorrect
Suppose you’re a frequent user of Google Chrome. You may have encountered the “The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.” error message at some point. This error typically occurs when you try to launch h Chrome. It indicates that the program cannot start due to a compatibility issue with other installed programs on your computer.
This article will review the most effective ways to troubleshoot and fix your Windows PC’s Chrome side-by-side configuration error.
What Causes this Error?
- Missing or Corrupted System Files: When you try to launch Chrome, the program may require specific system files to be present and functional. If these files are missing or corrupted, Chrome may not be able to start, and you’ll see the error message. This can happen for various reasons, such as software conflicts, malware infections, or hardware issues.
- Third-Party Software Conflicts: Some programs on your computer may interfere with Chrome’s ability to start correctly, causing the error message. This can happen when two or more programs share the same system resources, such as DLL files or registry keys, and conflict.
- Outdated or Corrupted Chrome Installation: If you haven’t updated Chrome in a while, some of the program’s files or components may have become corrupted or outdated, leading to the error message. Additionally, if you’ve installed Chrome from an untrusted source or the installation was interrupted, it may result in a corrupted installation that causes the error.
6 Ways to Resolve Incorrect Application Configuration on Chrome
While this error can be frustrating, there are several solutions you can try to fix it and get back to using Chrome without any issues.
Repair Your Installed Apps
The error message mentioned above can occur when your application files become corrupted for various reasons, such as sudden system shutdowns or virus infections. However, you can resolve this issue by repairing the installed application. It’s important to note that repairing the application using this method does not result in data loss.
- Access the Control Panel by clicking the Start menu and searching for Control Panel > Uninstall a program.
2. Select the problematic application from the list.
3. Click on “Repair” located at the top of the window. If the Repair button is not visible, try selecting “Uninstall,” “Uninstall/Change,” or “Change.”
4. Follow the on-screen instructions provided in the application’s repair utility.
5. Restart your computer once you have completed the repair process.
6. Launch the application to verify if the issue has been resolved.
Reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ Packages
If you encounter the error message “Side-by-side configuration is incorrect” while launching an application, it may be due to problematic Visual C++ packages installed on your computer. To resolve this issue, you can redownload and reinstall these packages.
1. Open the Start menu, search for “Event Viewer,” and select the application.
2. To view the most recent “side-by-side” error, navigate to “Custom Views” and select “Summary Page Events”.
3. Click on the error on the right and go to the “General” tab to find the value next to “version”.
4. Head to Google, enter the version number you noted and search for it.
5. Select the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package corresponding to your version number, choose the package language from the drop-down menu, and download it.
6. Once the download is complete, run the downloaded file to install the package on your computer.
7. Restart your computer once the package installation is complete.
8. Open your application to verify if the issue has been resolved.
Run System File Checker
To fix the “Side-by-side configuration is incorrect” error caused by corrupted system files, you can use Microsoft’s built-in System File Checker tool. Follow these steps:
- Search for “Command Prompt” via Windows Start.
2. Hit Enter to open the app.
3. Type “sfc /scannow” and hit Enter. The tool will start scanning the PC for harmful files. Wait for the process to complete.
4. Reboot your PC and try opening the Google Chrome Browser again. If the error persists, run the following commands in the Command Prompt:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
5. After performing System File Checker, reboot your PC and try using Google Chrome.
Remove Configuration Conflicts Automatically
To troubleshoot the “Side-by-side configuration is incorrect” error automatically, you can use Advanced SystemCare. Follow these steps:
- Download, install, and launch Advanced SystemCare.
2. Select the “Select All” checkbox and choose “Scan” to scan all the files, shortcuts, and registries.
3. Advanced SystemCare will scan your registries, files, and startup programs.
4. Select the “Fix it now” option to eliminate the problematic items on your Windows 10 system automatically.
5. Once Advanced SystemCare completes its job, check whether the “Side-by-side configuration is incorrect” error appears again when launching the application.
Uninstall and Reinstall Error Application
A user reported that uninstalling and reinstalling the problematic application resolved the “side-by-side configuration is incorrect” error. If you encounter this error with Google Chrome, follow these steps:
- On the Control Panel, select “Programs and Features.”
2. Locate Google Chrome in the list of installed programs and select “Uninstall.”
3. Download and reinstall Google Chrome from the official website.
4. After the download, install the new version of Google Chrome on your computer.
5. Restart Google Chrome and check whether the “side-by-side configuration is incorrect” error is resolved, allowing the browser to run correctly.
Use Windows Security
When downloading files and apps from unverified sources on the web, your PC may be affected by malicious files that can disrupt app opening and other processes. Fortunately, the built-in Windows Security app can easily resolve this issue without investing in an expensive anti-virus tool.
Here are the steps:
1. Press Windows and search for Windows Security.
2. Go to Virus & threat protection.
3. Click the Quick scan button and allow Windows to scan your PC for harmful files.
You can continue using your PC while the scan is running, and the estimated time to complete the scan will depend on the number of files stored on your PC.
Conclusion: Successfully Resolve Chrome’s Side by Side Configuration Error
Encountering errors while trying to launch applications can be frustrating and disruptive to your workflow. By following the appropriate steps and utilizing the available resources, you can effectively troubleshoot and resolve the configuration error to ensure smooth and uninterrupted usage of your computer applications.