Steam is still probably the best platform to purchase and download digital copies of games on your PC. They have tons of titles varying from different categories on their library and have some of the most popular Esports games like Dota 2, PUBG, and CS:GO.
Despite being the best digital game provider, Steam has seen a fair amount of criticism from users who experience issues on their platform.
Automatically Repair Windows Errors
- Your machine is currently running Windows 10
- This Repair Utility is compatible with your operating system.
Recommended: To repair Windows Errors, use this software package; Restoro System Repair. This repair tool has been proven to identify and fix these errors and other Windows problems with very high efficiency.
- 100% safe as confirmed by Norton.
- Only your system and hardware are evaluated.
One of the most common ones is games that refuse to launch on Steam. Users would see the game launching progress bar appear when this happens, but the actual game itself won’t open. This isn’t the same as if the Steam platform won’t open.
Since computer specifications vary from one another, troubleshooting game launching issues on Steam can be confusing.
Luckily, you’ve come to the right place!
This guide will show you the best possible solutions for fixing Steam games that refuse to launch on your computer.
Let’s get started!
Fix 1: Check If Your Computer Meets the Game Requirements
The first thing you should check if games refuse to launch on your computer is the minimum system requirements. Depending on the title, minimum system requirements may vary from one game to another.
If games are not launching, it is possible that your computer did not meet the minimum requirements of the game.
To confirm this, follow the steps below:
- First, go to the Steam Store and search for the game you are trying to play.
- Click on the game and scroll down until you see the System Requirements tab.
- Check the indicated specification on the list and see if your hardware meets the requirement.
Consider upgrading your current system if it doesn’t meet the game’s minimum requirements to avoid further problems in the future.
Fix 2: Restart Steam
If games are not launching on Steam, you can try restarting the program to ensure that all of its resources are correctly loaded.
- Press the Windows Key + X on your keyboard and select Task Manager.
- Go to the Processes tab and find Steam from the list.
- Click on Steam and hit the End Task button to stop it from running.
Go back to your desktop, re-login to your Steam account, and check if the game will now launch on your computer.
Fix 3: Restart Your Computer
You can also restart your computer if games are not launching correctly. A temporary error may have occurred on your system, which causes games not to launch. It is also possible that some drivers were not loaded when Windows booted the first time and needed a restart.
Follow the steps below to restart your system:
- First, click on the Windows icon on the Taskbar to access the Start Menu.
- Click on the Power button and select Restart.
3. Wait for your system to reboot.
Go back to Steam once your computer has restarted and check if the games are now launching correctly.
Fix 4: Run the Game As Administrator
If you are only experiencing the issue on a specific game on Steam, try running that game as an administrator to bypass any restrictions that could be preventing the game from launching.
See the steps below to guide you on the process:
- On Steam, go to your Library and right-click on the game you are having issues with.
- Go to Properties and click on Local Files.
- Click the Browse button to access the game’s installation folder.
4. Locate the game’s .EXE file and right-click on it.
5. Access its Properties and go to the Compatibility tab.
6. Enable ‘Run this Program as an Administrator’ and click OK to save the changes.
Go back to Steam and try relaunching the game to check if the problem is solved.
Fix 5: Update Windows
The version of Windows currently installed on your computer may not be compatible with the game you are trying to play. It is also possible that there’s an underlying issue with your operating system that prevents applications or games from launching.
To check for Windows updates, follow the steps below:
- First, open the Start Menu and click on Settings.
- Inside Windows Settings, click on Update & Security.
- Lastly, wait for Windows to check for updates and follow the on-screen prompts if there’s a newer version available.
After updating Windows, restart your computer and check if games are now launching on Steam.
Fix 6: Update Your Graphics Drivers
When you play games on your computer, you must have the correct drivers for your graphics card to maximize its performance. If games are not launching on Steam, your graphics drivers may be corrupted or outdated.
To fix this, follow the steps below to update your graphics drivers:
- First, press Windows Key + X on your keyboard to access the Quick Menu.
- Click on Device Manager and select Display Adapters.
- Right-click on your Graphics Driver and select Update Driver. Follow the on-screen prompts to install the latest drivers for your system.
Go back to Steam afterwards and try launching another game to check if the problem is solved.
Fix 7: Reinstall the Game
If your game is still not launching Steam, we suggest reinstalling it to ensure that you have the latest version installed. This will also ensure its packages are installed correctly on your system and that you have a working copy of the game.
Follow the steps below to reinstall a game on Steam:
- First, go to your Steam Library and right-click on the game that is not launching on your computer.
- Now, hover your mouse on the Manage tab and click on Uninstall.
3. Follow the on-screen prompts to delete the game on your system.
4. Lastly, restart your computer after removing the game.
Go to the Steam Store after restarting your computer and reinstall the game from there.